[nabs-l] John Jay in NYC

Alexander Castillo alexandera.castillo at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 20:07:15 UTC 2012

Hi Keri, I must have missed your post a couple of weeks ago. John Jay
belongs to the City University of New York, and although at times you
might have to advocate a bit on your behalf to make sure you have the
resources you need, most of the CUNY schools should be up to date in
terms of accessibility. I’m familiar with the CUNY system as a former
president of the NY student division, am a former student from Hunter,
and know people who attend practically all of the other CUNY schools.
You should not have too much trouble.

It has been my experience that the better advocacy you put into
practice on your own behalf, the smoother things seem to go, no matter
what the university or college you are attending.

The CUNY system has a student group called CCSD (CUNY coalition for
students with disabilities) which meets monthly and represents
students from many disabilities from the entire CUNY campus. This is a
good place for you to check out if you do decide to attend John Jay.

If you are from New York, or are planning to move there, you should
contact the New York Association of Blind Students at
NYABS at nfbnet.org. Our division president Kate Carroll is a law student
at St. John’s, and perhaps you guys can get in touch when you come and
visit the city. Many of our students attend CUNY schools as well.

Unfortunately I am leaving the city on the same day of your visit, but
if you will be around in DC, or in NYC before the 15th, I’ll be glad
to chat and introduce you to some of your new fellow students.

You can email me off list at
AlexanderA.Castillo at gmail.com

Good luck with everything,
Alex