[nabs-l] Braille Under Siege As Blind Turn To Smartphones

Rania Ismail CMT raniaismail04 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 13:18:51 UTC 2012

I use it to lable things.
Rania,

-----Original Message-----
From: nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf
Of Ashley Bramlett
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 11:37 PM
To: National Association of Blind Students mailing list
Subject: Re: [nabs-l] Braille Under Siege As Blind Turn To Smartphones

Hi,
I think we have to keep up our skills. Like Anjelina, I label in braille; I
write notes and appointment times in the braille Note.
I read hard copy braille regularly too; but not as much as I should. I think

we need to keep reading regular hard copy braille to keep our skills up.
Reading with two hands and sliding to the next line on a page is different
than reading a linear braille display.
We have to balance technology and braille skills. If we don't, we are
settling for second class citizenship and a substandard rate of literacy.
Technology can break down and it has limitations. So get out a big braille
book or your perkins braille and read/write braille.

So how do I keep real braille skills up? I read the NFB viligant in braille.

I've read novels in braille too.
I make a point to write braille for organization. I like seeing a list of
things; its just easier to organize; I list things to buy or things to get
done that day. I might write a poem or short reflection in braille. Because
I have space limitations, I don't write much hard copy braille. I will write

a page or two at  a time. Longer writing I do on the braille note. So, in
summary I find small ways like list items, reading newsletters, short
stories poems, and small reflections to keep up my braille. I could still
improve though. Periodically, I read out loud. I encourage all to do so
because its useful to have for reading speeches or other writing to groups.
You improve reading fluency with practice.

Ashley