[nabs-l] punnett squares

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 28 00:46:20 UTC 2012

Hi,
You cannot do punnet squares in a linear form on a braille note. Use a
brailler; yes do them on graph paper or make the  squares tactilly somehow.
I used large print. But same concepts apply. Punnet squares are a grid of
squares. So picture a small table.
I believe they are two rows, two colums as  I recall. You put two
letters in each square to represent genes.
I really hope I explain the representation right as its been years since bio
for me.
If you bring two of the same letters together, its homozygous. Note the
capital or lowercase letters as I write.
Capitals are dominant and lower case are recessive.
Example:  bb for recessive brown eyes.
Example B B for dominant blue eyes.

If you have different case of letters, its hetro zygous.
You look at the top letter and letter on the side to put the letters in the
square. For instance a Large P for dominant gene on top and on the side a
small O for recessive gene. So you write P O in the block.
Quite hard to explain without showing you. I suggest you ask your teachers
for clarification.

This video might help; maybe if you watch it with a sighted person they can
help you understand it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8SQAiVWw_s

Ashley