[nabs-l] to Joshua and list

Annemarie Cooke aec732 at msn.com
Sun Jan 8 01:39:50 UTC 2012

Hey NABSters,

I am writing for a couple of reasons. Starting with Joshua's suggestion about Learning Ally posting samples of readers' voices. Perhaps you didn't know we use more than 5,000 volunteers to read our audiobooks. The readers are assigned books based on their specificc subject knowledge; e.g. a physicist reads physics, a native speaker of Spanish reads Spanish language, etc. The volunteers read for at least two hours a week and many readers are assigned to a book so that it can be completed and uploaded for us as quickly as possible.

With all of these factors, Learning Ally does offer book samples on thee website but providing samples of a volunteer group thaa changes on a regular basis doesn't seem feasible.

You may know tha tthe NLS hires paid actors or voicers to read the majority of those books and that individual readers read specificgenres of books, such as mysteries, true crime, romance, etc.

I also would like to be ghelpful in any area in which you are having difficulty with Learning Ally. If watching the YouTube video doesn't work, wy not call tech support? OOur blind tech experts are wonderful in explaining processes and answering questions about how something works. In addition, so that I can help YOU, please let mek now what specific issues you are having with the website.

You can e-mail me offlist if your question or issue is lengthy so that this list doesn't get monoopolized.

Many thanks,

Annemarie Cooke
Learning Ally consultant (and member)