[nabs-l] school is not accommodating

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 20 20:44:31 UTC 2012

Humberton,
Rehab is a joke; remember I'm a continuing ed student; so my rehab counselor
is  concerned about getting me a job with a bachelors degree; she won't go
to meetings with the school; not sure that is a good idea. I mean rehab
doesn't follow their own regulations of informed choice; that is why they
fight with consumers about services.

Now, I do want to bring in an advocate; my state president of nfb is busy
and travels a lot. So I might try a local advocate first. I think I'll ask
my local independent living center to help. The centers for independent
living deal with all people with disabilities. Also I might contact my state
reps in richmond.
Chap peterson has been to nfb meetings here so he might be willing to help
even though he represents the next district over. Yes I will definitely
contact my state officials.

As for braille signs. Um oh my, you got me started. While we do have braille
numbers, other important info is not in braille. The professor's nname is
not brailled! I remember waiting over ten minutes for my professor who ran
late due to parking issues. Someone finally came along and read me the phone
number on the door! Then I called her. Then she showed up three minutes
later and appoligized for being late. Well, I read her name since I have
vision and confirmed I was indeed in the right place! But it wasn't easy.
They could have at least put contrasting letters there for low vision
students!
Same with other signs. Uh, gray letters on dark background isn't good for
low vision people.

Ashley