[nabs-l] French Braille

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 02:30:32 UTC 2012

Hi Nalym,

Although I can't help you with your spesific situation with
French, I know somebody who might be able to help you.  He's a
retired French teacher who is totally blind.  I will forward your
email to him, and will send his response to you off-list, unless
other people on the list would find this useful, in which case I
will also send it to the list.

Firstly, what Braille display are you using? I have found the
same thing has happened when reading Spanish on my BrailleNote's
Braille display.  The only way I have found to fix this is to hit
the advance thumb key to go to the next line, then the back key
to go to the previous line.  The accent will then show up in
Braille, but it will show as the word of the symbol.  For
example, e with an accent (or e acute) will show up as the words
"e acute" in Braille, instead of the actual Braille symbol.  I
don't know what the equivalent of the previous/back thumb keys
would be on a stand-alone Braille display.  I believe that the
same thumb keys that are used for the BrailleNote are used for
the Brailliant displays from Humanware, but I'm not sure.  Hope
this helps!

Chris

nuisance."
-- Kenneth Jernigan