[nabs-l] Pacmate and other notetakers

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 16:50:02 UTC 2012

Hi Amanda,

I use my BrailleNote Apex all the time, and love it! In fact, I
am writing this email from my BrailleNote using its email client.
I don't know how it would compare to the PacMate, as I haven't
played with the PacMate a lot.  I do know that the PacMate uses
Windows Mobile as its operating system, which makes the PacMate
operate a lot like a PC.  The BrailleNote, however, uses Windows
CE, an older version of the Windows operating system (OS) for
mobile devices.  Unlike the PacMate, the BrailleNote is laid out
in menus and lists, which I have found to be very easy to
navigate.  I've played with a BrailleSense before, and have come
to really like the BrailleNote's layout over the BrailleSense's,
and believe that the PacMate has the same kind of layout as the
BrailleSense.  The BrailleNote, however, does have some
noticeable drawbacks, mostly due to the fact that it is running
an underlying OS which is no longer updated or supported by
Microsoft.  For more information about the BrailleNote, I would
advise you to check out the BrailleNote Users Web site, which is
a site with a lot of great tips about the BrailleNote and how to
use it, all written by BrailleNote users ourselves.  Also, the
Introduction to BrailleNote article and the Introduction to
BrailleNote podcasts, along with the BrailleNote: Its Potential
podcast series, all of which you can find on the BrailleNote
Users site, are all great resources for new BrailleNote users or
those who are considering the purchase of a BrailleNote.  The
link to the Web site is www.braillenoteusers.info.  If you have
any more questions, email me off-list and I would be glad to help
you!
Hope this helps,

Chris

nuisance."