[nabs-l] question about stats software

Cari Kness carisuekness at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 05:42:23 UTC 2012

Hi All,
My name is Cari. I'm working on my social work degree in saint Louis
MO. I've been on and off NABS list before depending on time and traffic.
I have a question. I'm taking Social Statistics this semester. We're
using the stats entry software SPSS. Actually I believe it goes by
PSW or something like that.
A. Does anyone have experience with this software using speech? I use
JAWS 13 with Windows 7 on my netbook and the school's computers also
run Windows 7 with Windoweyes latest version. I think most of the
work with the software is in class. I am working on finding an in
class reader but have not had any success so far.
B. I was talking to my prof and she said I could have an exception so
I wouldn't have to use the software. She says the homework does not
use it and the points difference is small but then she said it would
be 75 points she'd adjust.
C. I do not like the school's systems and would probably be better
off using my own computer. Is there any version of this program
available for free or at least for a trial period?

I'm going back and forth on this. On the one hand I don't like to
take exceptions if I don't have to. It may be true that I'll never
use SPSS again but I would be able to work on my skills of finely
directing a reader and learning to use output info from them.
On the other hand, if using the software if not going to work and I
can't find another way in class with a reader, is it really worth the
head ache?
I'm exploring my options and told my prof that I'd think about it and
get back to her. If I can, I'd like to work with the program long
enough to get the feel for it and work with my outside reader. I
suppose I can't rule out working with another classmate. Is this
option enifitial for both students?  There is another blind student
in the class. She has offered to help me because she uses Zoombext
and other visual aids. I thought it was a nice offer but it appeared
like she was struggling to keep up herself and I fear that she would
not be able to give me the information I need to do the work.
I'm leaning on finding a way to make it work to learn the software to
do the work with the rest of the class or outside it for the same
redit. What have you experienced? What suggestions do you have?
Thanks for your help.
Peace,
Cari