[nabs-l] microsoft product accessibility

Nicole B. Torcolini at Home ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Sun Jan 22 23:49:20 UTC 2012

Do you know how to use the quick settings in JAWS? Copied from the JAWS 13
help:

Virtual Ribbon Menu
The Ribbon is a new style of menu available in many new applications being
released today. Ribbons first appeared in Office 2007 programs, but are now
becoming more common in other applications tailored for the Windows 7
operating system. Ribbons create an accessibility challenge due to
inconsistent navigation between various groups and items. For example, when
you enter the Lower Ribbon and press the ARROW keys to move between items in
a group, you can skip items and unexpectedly move into another group.
Pressing TAB gives no indication that you have left one group and entered
another. Using first letter navigation to find items can be difficult and
frustrating. Finally, because of a group’s layout, you do not know if you
should navigate up, down, left, or right to select an item.

The new Virtual Ribbon Menu provides predictable navigation, lets you see
everything in the Ribbon, and offers consistency when navigating with ARROW
keys. For example, the ARROW and TAB keys move focus from the Upper Ribbon
tabs to the Lower Ribbon groups. Once in a group, the ARROW, TAB, and
SHIFT+TAB keys move through all items in a group, move from one group to the
next, and wrap to the beginning of the Ribbon. For submenus, SPACEBAR and
ENTER expand menus, and ESCAPE collapses menus. The Virtual Ribbon Menu is
off by default and can be switched on or off from within Settings Center or
the JAWS Startup Wizard. When it is on, the Ribbon is navigated using a
traditional menu and submenu format familiar to most JAWS users.