[nabs-l] Scanning books with Kurzweil

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 23 20:33:51 UTC 2012

Chris,

Yes, you scan one page at a time, so with longer pieces of information
such as books, you usually need to break the binding. I have an older
version of Kurzweil which was purchased about six years ago, so it takes
about a minute per page. Current versions, I believe, are a bit faster
and can do a few more things such as recognize paper money, though I
don't know why one would use a program like Kurzweil for this. I rarely
had to scan textbooks for school on my own, but I sometimes wanted
electronic copies of chapters the DSO had provided in other formats, or
I often scanned my own hand-outs. My husband and I use it a lot for
personal reasons like Ross bought a book about a specific work-out and
weight training program, and he scanned the book.

So to answer your question, yes, you do need to scan a book page by
page, though it scans both front and back of a page at one time. Others,
I'm sure, can provide you with more details and speak to current
versions of Kurzweil along with other OCR software.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan