[nabs-l] It's official!

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 19:50:04 UTC 2012

I too, would say something to the below. If your changing majors because you
do not want to do more math, or sciences, that is a bit concerning. If you
were changing majors because that is truly where you want to go, then sure.
But changing majors because you feel you can't do the math or science, is
not for the right reason. I am sure there are lots of others on this list,
who could tell you, you can do the math, and the sciences. Those subjects
should not stop you.

There is an entire list through the NFB dedicated for blind students who are
taking math; its members are students, tutors, teachers, both blind and
sighted. Every single person on that list thinks and knows that blind
students can participate in math class, whether it is in high school, or
community colleges, or universities.

Let me relay a short story here, I am not a traditional student. High school
was almost 18 years ago, so here I am back taking courses to get my degree.
I needed statistics, and biology. I had to start at the beginning. And
because I was able to see in high school I have the added challenge of
learning Nemith Braille. I pushed my community college here in PA to Braille
my math text books. At first they kicked and screamed, but I pushed. I got
the book, and they Braille every single math book I had after that. Three
courses worth. I passed with all A's. Biology was a little harder but I
passed.

Lots and lots of blind students have taken math and science. My husband is
blind, has a degree in mathematics.

If I can do it, you can do it! Come on, did changing majors really make your
life that much easier? If you are to go to a major university you might need
more math and science classes, what are you going to do then?

Just my two cents what it is worth,
Marsha