[nabs-l] cleaning up the snow within bus stops

Humberto Avila avila.bert.humberto2 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 02:24:17 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I am running into a problem that has been bothering me to a point where I
want to try out my advocacy skills, and I would like to share it with you.

Well. here is the story.  a couple of weeks ago a major winter storm was
upon us here in Central Washington State, and it really affected my city,
Yakima. We had a snowfall that left about up to 5 inches of snow throughout
the city, and the first two days that happened it went nonstop for more than
24 hours. this left people unable to go to work and school for about two
days, and public as well as school routes for buses were reduced or limited
those days. this storm left me unable to ride the city bus to and from
school, making my Dad take me to and from school for the rest of next week.
today that still continued; My dad still drove me to school and back home.

While the roads and all highways are clean, many sidewalks including
sidewalks where there are bus stops and benches are still soaked into so
much snow and ice from two weeks ago. And you know what is worse? the people
or machines who clean the snow in the mornings or nights deposit all that
snow there, leaving the piles and trails of snow into those very places I
mentioned, especially at the bus stops. Now in fact, that snow has turned
into ice, and the sidewalks with bus stops are even more slippery and hard
to walk or step on.

With all this mess, how is a blind person going to walk to take their
desired public transportation? How am I supposed to step on all those
mountains of slippery ice waiting for the bus?
for once, this is driving me crazy and is putting my independence at risk of
going down the drain. Like I said, my parent has to drive me to and from,
every day, and if this continues to happen, I fear that I will lose practice
of traveling on the city bus.

what it's making things more bothersome is that, quite frankly, I feel
embarrassed by my Dad to pick me up at the college, right in front of the
main class building, and take me there because, well, about 99.2% of all the
college students can DRIVE and do DRIVE their own cars, and I don't know
what they think of me when my Dad has to do that. I am very disappointed
with them not being able to also clean up the snow and ice from the bus
stops and their sidewalks. I am also angry because they don't even think
about people, especially blind or disabled, depending on buses to take them
everywhere since they have to use those bus stops.

What should I do? Where should I start from in trying to put someone to
clear up those paths and sidewalks where there are bus stop so that I can
travel safely and independently once again? who should I tell about this?
which authority should know this?

I wonder how sighted people are getting off and on those buses with all this
sleek. I'm sure Ice can try out on those sidewalks and stops, however, it is
very cold and I doubt this will happen soon enough for me to ride the bus.
do you have any recommendations for me on this situation? Any ideas?
suggestions? tips?

your help and advice is welcome please. I'm tired of my dad having to drive
here and there every morning and spend his gas, and embarrassed that I am
one of those very few, or the only one, whose parents take them to college.
I'm sure no college student wants that since we are now adults.

Sincerely,
Humberto