[nabs-l] Convention: GRE discussion, 8 a.m. Tues.

Loew, Ruth rloew at ETS.ORG
Mon Jul 2 17:27:27 UTC 2012

Hi - Thanks for the question, Zunaira.

We permit blind students to take tests w/ their own readers, and we have for years.  Without researching your case, I can't tell you why this wasn't approved for you; I'm sorry you didn't receive the accommodations you requested.  From your message, it doesn't sound as if you wish to retest.  However, if you do, please do request your own reader if this is your preference.

For blind individuals taking GRE, TOEFL, Praxis, or TExES tests: Our accommodations request and approval procedure has been streamlined a great deal in recent years.  Please request your accommodations through the usual process (see the Bulletin Supplement for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-Related Needs at www.ets.org/disabilities<http://www.ets.org/disabilities>).  However, if you have questions that aren't answered when you go through the standard procedure, or have difficulty with your request, please feel free to contact me.

It was great meeting many of you last night.  See (some of) you tomorrow (Tues.) at breakfast!

Ruth C. Loew, Ph.D.
Assistant Director
Office of Disability Policy, ETS
phone: 609-683-2984
fax: 609-683-2220

------------------------------------- original message ---------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 10:19:44 -0400
From: "Wasif, Zunaira" <Zunaira.Wasif at dbs.fldoe.org<mailto:Zunaira.Wasif at dbs.fldoe.org>>
        <nabs-l at nfbnet.org<mailto:nabs-l at nfbnet.org>>
Subject: Re: [nabs-l] Convention: GRE discussion, 8 a.m. Tues.

When I took the GRE they provided a reader that couldn't read several of the math symbols such as Less than, or Grater than.  They should allow the student to bring a reader of his or her choice.  The MCAT people allowed me to bring my own reader and provided proctors for the exam.  This worked out much better.   I'm not at convention this year because I can't get time off of work, but I would love updates on this issue.
Zunaira