[nabs-l] Sex Education Curriculum

Tony Olivero anthony at olivero.us
Thu Jul 12 15:33:28 UTC 2012

Folks,

The when of having sex isn't what's at question. What's at question is
being properly informed and prepared for the big event. Putting aside
the argument of whether it's a school or parental responsibility to
educate one's children (or for that matter oneself) we should be open
to the possibility that, like math, science, and other caricular
areas, sexual education (which in many  curiculum includes the health
of the reproductive system, we're not just talking about the sex act
itself) will require some adaptations to make it fully accessible to
blind students.

While one might not *want* to see the slides or videos, one also might
not want to feel the worm as it is disected, or understand the
difference between an acute and an obtuse angle, but these are also
required tasks in most cases. If sighted students have access to this
curiculum, blind students should as well. We should be open to
supporting research into improving methods of access to all
educational programs for blind students. If we are going to demand
access to education, we should have access to all fascets thereof.

Tony