[nabs-l] Sex Education Curriculum

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 19:46:05 UTC 2012

Hello,
Sighted people are exposed to sex all the time, haven't you heard of playboy
or penthouse? Also, what about those people making out on the bus? Or the
gay couple walking down the sidewalk in skirts and bikini? All that we miss
because we're blind.
Books are grate, but you can only learn so much from a manual. Sighted kids
get pictures, we should get to feel. Also, how is a blind person supposed to
know they have an STD if they have never felt one? How do they know it's not
just a cut or dehydration?
Sighted people are given extensive viewings of the peaness and vagina in
class or in pictures, why can't blind people get the same?
Frankly I believe that the art of giving pleasure has become such a
suppressed skill that people have even resorted to substance abuse to obtain
pleasure. Our bodies were meant to give us pleasure, why aren't we taught to
utilize these pleasure factories? What's the meaning of life? To love and be
happy! Why aren't we taught to be happy, to give pleasure, to love our
selves in school?
It's a fundamental wrong that I find is a crime against the words human
beings, but that's kind of a different issue.
But if this curriculum is any bit good, teachers will adopt it instead of
the droll thing they have now.

btw what about feeling a condom, diaphragm or dental dam? How is a blind
person supposed to know what one looks like if they haven't felt one or
tried it on? Also, how does a blind person shop for contraception's?
Me: "Next on my list is condoms." Walgreens guy: "OK, what brand do you
want? Durex, Trojan, Crown, Kimono..." Me: "Uh, what's your favorite?"
Walgreens guy: "Most people get Trojan, what size do you want? We've got
small, medium, large and extra large. We've also got narrow and wide. Here
are some flavors as well..."

That's just a wall greens guy who is comfortable, what if it's one of the
really shy ladies who doesn't speak English? Sighted people can be
unobtrusive and just buy the condom or diaphragm along with their lube where
as a blind person has to know what questions to ask and know what brands to
get. I learned what questions to ask when shopping by watching my parents,
but I've never seen my parents buy condoms.
It's a serious issue and this program will help address those problems. And
what about masturbation? I've rarely read a book where masturbation is
talked about and I've read a lot of books! How does a guy masturbate without
making a mess?
Sex Ed is not just about a sperm and an egg get together to form a baby,
that's more science.
Sex Ed is about sex and it's an issue that blind people fall way short in
when it comes to being educated along with their fellow students.
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs