[nabs-l] Sex Education Curriculum

nabs.president at gmail.com nabs.president at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 03:02:18 UTC 2012

While I think that many of the points that have been raised on this thread
have been valid and worth discussing, I think the thread has pretty much run
its course. The initial email pertained to a survey regarding access to sex
education information for blind students. This is a worthwhile project. I'm
not sure where the issues of the "how to's" of sex came into the equation.

Different folks with different values will have differing opinions on what
kind of information pertaining to sex should be taught, and by whom. This is
not a debate we need to hash out on this list. If folks want to carry on the
conversation individually via private email, by all means, but I'd
respectfully ask that we desist the conversation related to what appropriate
sex education looks like and who ought to be receiving it.

On a final related point, I know of plenty of blind people who did not need
to have making out or sex described to them, or feel a naked woman or man,
to get the idea. Like sighted individuals, blind people all have varying
levels of knowledge about, comfort with, and opinions on sex. That is just
fine, but it isn't really an issue relevant to the initial post about access
to information and materials found in a predefined curriculum.

Thank you,

Sean