[nabs-l] Writing Experience

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 13 11:28:36 UTC 2012

Deb,
We'd need more info. What exactly is your weakness? I improved just by
writing more; but english was always a stronger subject for me.
What was your major? I feel that my undergrad classes did not teach writing
as well as they could. Only my freshman composition class and upper level
english 301 class called writing process discussed the writing process. We
learned about drafting, editing and final drafts. We did peer editing a lot
as well. I believe colleges need to do a better job about teaching research
skills and how to construct an argument in a paper and how to write clearly.
You'd be surprised of the number of graduates who do not know  how to spell
well, do not know where to place commas, and don't write grammatically
correct sentences.

To improve writing scholarly papers, my first thought is read more. Read
research articles in your field. Typically, there is four or five sections:
an introduction, method, results, discussion and conclusion.
My second thought is to visit the college writing center if your school has
one. At mine, they would assist you in revising the paper
by checking it over and giving suggestions. They even helped with
constructing references list if needed.

I might have more ideas if I know what you are looking for. This is one area
where I think we need more access! Well all students do. But we don't have
access to those quick reference guides many students use. I had to get a
reader to look stuff up for me in mine. Yes, I know learning ally has some
of them, but you cannot look stuff up there. You have to know what page x
topic  is on to read it.

You seem to write okay to me; you write in sentences and spell correctly, so
I believe you have the basics.

Ashley