[nabs-l] Attending A Sumer Camp

Sophie Trist sweetpeareader at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 18:03:36 UTC 2012

That's great. The lighthouse in Louisiana doesn't sound nearly as
good. I attended a summer camp there last year. It was not an
overnight camp, and it focused mainly on recreational activities.
Even the daily living skills activities were not that
informative. The sighted volunteers did most of the work (e.g.,
taking things on and off stoves, in and out of ovens, and serving
the food) while we did the simple tasks like cutting and
stirring. However, centers like this that don't offer complete
training serve a purpose. For blind people not functioning at
full capacity, these types of centers can offer them
opportunities to learn the simple skills they need.
Best,
Sophie