[nabs-l] NFB Philosophy

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Thu Jul 19 23:59:49 UTC 2012

I have a few notes for a few different people on this thread.

Tyler:
I understand the hesitancy about getting involved when you don't fully agree with everything that everyone else believes.  I once had that hesitation about getting involved with organized religion.  I started going to a campus ministry at my college because a friend sold me on the free dinner, and I quickly learned that no church is homogenous in beliefs.  In some churches, the leadership will try like mad to perpetuate the idea that everyone in the church believes exactly what they do and that anyone who disagrees slightly is against them.  In my church, we aren't like that, and we understand that people have differing views.  We unite under the idea that it's okay to disagree on individual issues and discuss them, but we have generally the same core beliefs.
That's how we are in the Federation.  If you don't agree with something we're doing, I'll make an effort to help you come to terms with it because that's my individual personality.  I often find that, when someone disagrees with something we're doing, it is because of a lack of understanding of what we're doing or the underlying issue.  At the end of the day, I won't shun you.

Marc Workman:
 Of course we, in the Federation, fight to break down the barriers.  Why do you think we do legislative lobbying?  Washington Seminar is an absolutely amazing experience, and you should try it!  We honor adaptability because there's no sense in being helpless in the meantime while we work on those barriers.
On the mention of Sean's place in social stratification:  I am a colored person, I'm the first person in my family to go to college, and I don't bother wallowing in the lack of advantage that I face because of it.  Quite frankly, I'm not even convinced that I am disadvantaged by being a colored person.  With the first generation college student part, I have to seek mentors in the academic process from outside my family, and I know many, many educated Federationists who have eagerly fulfilled that role for me.
Lastly, I've made comments like "i've had this conversation with you before" in a public manner to other people-trust me, I have-but I've realized in retrospect that it only creates distance between everyone who hears me and myself.  A lot of people take that as an implied personal attack.  I'm not saying Sean took it that way, but I'm sure plenty of people did read it that way.

Brandon Keith Biggs, I loved reading this part of your email:
In my book, there is no larger crime than depriving someone of their dreams and the second biggest crime is taking away the chance for people to reach for those dreams. For while there are dreams, there is hope. With hope life always has enough energy to turn the corner and keep going.  The NFB to me is that hope and the rock and refuge that is always there for me if I need it.

Yours in Federationism,

Justin Salisbury

Justin M. Salisbury
Class of 2012
B.A. in Mathematics
East Carolina University
president at alumni.ecu.edu

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”    —MARGARET MEAD