[nabs-l] SSI & Subminimum Wages

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Fri Jul 20 16:51:07 UTC 2012

Dear List:

Someone recently brought up an argument against HR 3086 with respect to the loss of SSI benefits.  On the Facebook event Boycott Goodwill page, which can be found and joined at <http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/453015078044368/>, Anil Lewis made a wonderful satirical post about a month ago, and it's worth reading.  Here it is:

We will pay you less than the minimum wage so that you will not lose your benefits. We will not provide you with job training nor an opportunity to earn more money so that you can maintain your eligibility for your benefits. You are too severely disabled to work productively to earn a real wage so you should work not to lose your benefits. Though others in similar situations, having the same disability, have successfully obtained competitive employment earning the minimum wage or more, allowing them to actively participate in their communities, enabling them to transition off of public assistance, you should not strive for this same degree of independence. The $1.44 we pay you will allow you to keep your benefits, while the CEOs continue to make six figure salaries for their efforts to assist you to keep your benefits.

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury
Class of 2012
B.A. in Mathematics
East Carolina University
president at alumni.ecu.edu

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”    —MARGARET MEAD