[nabs-l] meeting results andwhatto dotogetaworkingcomputerforcollege

Desiree Oudinot turtlepower17 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 01:56:05 UTC 2012

Hi all,
I'm a little late to the party on this thread, but I would like to add
a few things.
First, Beth, the issues you're having with viruses can easily be
fixed. there are several free antivirus/antispyware programs with
varying degrees of accessibility. Depending on the specs of your
computer, I could make recommendations for ones you could run in
tandem to reduce the likelihood of getting infected, but for now I'll
just say that Microsoft Security Essentials is by far the most
accessible one I've come across, and it works well, not to mention it
doesn't severely hinder your system performance like some of the
others do. I've heard that although it's less likely, viruses can
infect Macs, too, so you're not 100% safe either way you go. As far as
help balloons go, I agree, if you happen to not hear them, it can be
hard to find out what was said. Sometimes they only show up in your
system tray for a few seconds, and by the time you figure out
something might be wrong, its gone. But if it's an issue of enough
importance, the message is most likely going to show up again.
Second, regarding rehab, I think you need to approach them in a more
professional manner. It's not right that you have to act one specific
way to get favorable results, but it is what it is. From your tone in
some of these messages, you seem a little bit uninformed. I don't mean
to be harsh or offensive, but perhaps you should do a little more
research on pc's, Macs, and note-takers. Make a pros and cons list.
Take it with you to your next rehab meeting, and calmly state your
case. It's easier to do so if you have notes to look at, so you don't
spin off course or forget your points. I know it's frustrating when
people don't want to listen to you, and when they have preconceived
notions of you, but if you want to get ahead, you unfortunately have
to act kind of like you have no feelings, and that you're looking at
your situation with complete objectivity. What's best for you? Clear
the emotional clutter away and try to form a picture in your mind of
what will make the biggest difference in your life.
On a related note, and again I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm
curious. Why have you told rehab about your being bipolar? I would
imagine that makes it easier for them to bully you around and scare
you. Of course that's not right, but people with mental illnesses get
taken advantage of much more often than people with disabilities do.
They were, and still are in some cases, the ones subjected to
deplorable conditions in institutions and prisons. I'm not saying
that's you, but it does change the perspective of those who are in
positions of authority over you. People have all kinds of stereotypes
in their heads about what it means to be mentally ill, and most of
them aren't pretty. With all that said, I have depression, but I've
never told my rehab counselor about it. Why? Because I don't want to
be subjected to even more unfair treatment. I have other reasons too
which are more personal, but that's the main one. Of course, you may
have had an equally strong reason for telling them, and I'm not here
to judge. I'm simply asking to try to gain a better understanding of
your situation since I don't know you, but I want to help.
About the use of a computer versus the good ol' days when people rode
donkeys to school and slates were considered hip new technology? I'm
kidding, of course. But in all seriousness, it's neither here nor
there. It's just a different way of doing things. Telling someone to
buckle down and do things because hey, everybody else had it so much
harder is counterproductive, not to mention snide and a bit degrading.
I have nothing but respect for people who made it through those times,
not the least bit because not only was the technology more primitive,
but because there were still many barriers being broken down for the
blind. On the other hand, were they able to look into the future and
say, "gee, I sure would want one of these newfangled computers with a
screen reader and 20 games to play?" Of course not! So please, a
couple of you should think before you speak.