[nabs-l] If or where to include center training on a job application.

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Sun Jul 22 02:01:18 UTC 2012

I think it depends on how relevant the training is to what you're
doing. If you're applying for a food service job, adding your training
with emphasis on your home ec course is a great idea. just talk about
what you did in that home ec course that would impress an employer: the
meal for eight and forty, the complicated recipes from scratch, the
various types of cookery methods, etc. If you're applying for a
computer job, talk about the computer course: your Word training, your
training with PowerPoint and Excel, your training with the internet and
social media. If it's a job related to people, you might talk about
your contributions to Seminar if appropriate. Or talk about any
mentoring you've done while in training. You get the idea. This will
hlep you discuss the relevant content of your training in a concise
manner. So for the food service job, you might say something like this:

BLInD Inc. 2010
Took non-visual home economics course
baking from scratch, pan and deep frying, barbecueing; prepared and
served a restaurant quality meal for eight; prepared and served a
buffet-style meal for forty; researched recipes from books, the
internet, and word of mouth.

For the computer job.

BLIND Inc. 2010
Intense training in microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, the Internet,
and social media; studied the basic hardware components of a desktop
machine; created a braille restaurant menu using Microsoft Word and a
braille translation program.

For the people job.

BLIND Inc. 2010
Intense blindness training including peer mentoring and support;
participated in a weekly diswcussion group on blindness and its role in
our lives; used the group discussion to assist others in coping with
blindness; participated in a peer mentoring program in which
experienced training participants assist newcomers in adjusting to
training; now spend time discussing the role of BLIND Inc training in
my life to potential participants

In each of these examples, experiences are listed in a way that jives
with what employers want out of their employees. How you actually word
what you want to say will depend on the job description. Good luck.

Respectfully,
Jedi