[nabs-l] Different places to get Scholarships?

Mary Fernandez trillian551 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 22:26:37 UTC 2012

Hello all,
There are many resources when graduating high school. My high school
actually had an award ceremony. Basically, if you were a great
student, very active, good grades etc., the guidance counselors would
submit your name to various organizations around our township that
gave out small awards to graduating students. It was actually a
really, really nice thing, I got about four of those, that added up to
$7,000. One of them was from the Rotary club, you can apply to your
local branch. If you win that award, they are actually refreshable.
So, you can submit your name each year and depending on your college
GPA you can get another chunk of money from them. Along with that
thought, the ELMS Club, Lions,, Knights of Columbus, and maybe even
the Moose Lodge might have specific local awards. Sometimes the local
Fire Fighters will have a small award for graduating high school
students. And of course,, as you go on in college you will be eligible
to other awards. Be aware that some scholarships, like the NFB and
other private institutions will send you a personl check. Others will
send the check directly to your school's financial AID office.
Depending on what kind of financial aid you have, you might then get a
refund check. In college I lived for refund checks!Like Cindy said,
definitely check to see if your college has a national scholarships
and awards offices. Often these are highly competitive, but many
colleges have internal awards that you can apply for. If you would
like to apply for Roads, Marshal, Soros, Fulbright, Truman,  and other
nationally competitive scholarships, colleges often have an internal
application process, and will then refer the applications they find
the most qualified on to those scholarship committees. Keep that GPA
nice and high and apply, apply, apply, you never know what you might
win. After all, someone has to win them ,right?
Mary

On 7/24/12, Cynthia Bennett <clb5590 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sorry. I got the fastweb URL wrong. But those are other great
> resources. I'm sure that many states have college websites that help
> you find colleges, apply, and find scholarships. NC's is www.cfnc.org.
> So search for something like that. But a meeting with your guidance
> counselor is definitely a good idea. They will have that kind of
> information for you. My school had the Lion's club application on hand
> since it was for all students, but if yours doesn't, it wouldn't hurt
> calling a member of the club and asking.
>
> Cindy
>
> On 7/24/12, Humberto Avila <avila.bert.humberto2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> The lions club in my area does not offer any scholarships. I've asked
>> them,
>> and they said that they didn't offer any. They just give out special
>> equipment for low vision offered through their low vision clinic and, if
>> you
>> request and get them to, they'll be willing to give other equipment.
>>
>> By the way, thank you for all these scholarship searches. I will consider
>> these that you've sent out, and to you, Cynthia, thanks for yours also.
>> have also some suggestions. If you ever feel like you have a great sense
>> of
>> luck, there are a bunch of context-like and drawing-like scholarships,
>> also
>> called "sweepstakes", that you can apply for. Providers such as:
>> 1.  Fastweb, http://www.fastweb.com/
>> 2.  College Prowler, http://www.collegeProwler.com/
>> 3.  Cappex, http://www.cappex.com/
>> 4.  MulahSpot, http://www.MulahSpot.com
>>
>> And many others, one word of wisdom though. Don't rely on these as much
>> as
>> you would rely on, for example, the blindness ones. However, it doesn't
>> hurt
>> to apply for some or all of these; who knows if you are the winner, and
>> then
>> what? You go to college without Rehabilitation agencies paying for you!
>> (Smile).
>>
>> You can also setup a profile on many websites that also attempt to give
>> you
>> with scholarship search results for you. Web sites such as:
>> 1.  www.collegeanswer.com/
>> 2.  www.fastWeb.com/
>> 3.  www.scholarshipDetective.com/
>> 4.  www.scholarships.com/
>> If you live in Washington State, there is a free web-based tool that you
>> can
>> setup a profile with, it is http://www.theWashBoard.org.
>>
>> Have a nice day and happy scholarship hunting!

>>> CCLVI:
>>> http://www.cclvi.org/scholarships/
>>> ABC:
>>> http://www.abc.org/Education_Training/Scholarships.aspx
>>> Association of Blind Citizens
>>> http://www.blindcitizens.org/abc_scholarship.htm
>>> Learning Ally
>>> http://www.learningally.org/Scholarship-Opportunities-Information/615/
>>>
>>> Your financial aid should have a website or list of places to get
>>> scholarships. There are scholarships like the Jack Kent Cook Foundation:
>>> http://www.jkcf.org/
>>> and all the other places listed on this page:
>>> http://www.radford.edu/~nchc/other-links.htm
>>> Gates, Churchill, Carnegie, Goldwater, Javits... All those rich families
>>> have scholarships.
>>> clubs like 4-H, Girl Scouts, Pathfinders, FFA, ROTC, Basketball,
>>> Toastmaster's...
>>> Interest groups like NAACP, National Rifle Association and the Christian
>>> Coalition also have scholarships.
>>>
>>> I'd like to know where other people get their scholarships from?
>>> Where do sighted people get scholarships? The above is mostly
>>> scholarships
>>> for the blind...

--
Mary Fernandez