[nabs-l] financial aid

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 25 19:27:16 UTC 2012

Beth,
I think Bill had a good point. While rehab should pay for school if its your
goal, loans are a way to pay for tuition.
You might look into it if rehab won't cooperate.
Its all in how you use them
To quote him
"Loans are how most students afford college, and just like any
other
loan, such as a mortgage, be a wise borrower will probably keep
you out of trouble.  Loans are just another tool in life, and like
almost every tool, if used correctly can be a great help, but if used
incorrectly can cause great harm."

That is true. My in laws took out loans. You can repay it if you work after
college.
There is no reason why a blind person couldn't do this, same way other
students do.
I believe saying there is so much debt  is just an excuse.
If you take that  approach with loans, it will be hard to get far in life.
You need a loan for a house, called a mortgage.  You need loans for a lot of
stuff.
That is just life.
I also think its  unfair to give loans a bad wrap because they work for many
students.

Also, I am not on SSI, so I do not know the rules on working. But if I were
you, I'd work on the side to have extra money. You sound like you need
money. Things like babysitting, walking pets, or working as a part time
receptionist can help you out.

Ashley