[nabs-l] Consultation regarding an Academic Mission Needed

Tony Olivero anthony at olivero.us
Sun Jun 3 04:43:41 UTC 2012

Hamid,

I have to agree with what has been said previously. I do not believe
that we are inherrantly slower in computer studies subjects. in fact,
if you were to consult the National Federation of the blind in
computer Science (a division of the NFB), you would find a number of
folks there who have competed on par with their sighted counterparts.
What makes the difference is the alternative techniques of blindness
we use to accomplish the assignments. While my experiences are in
undergraduate coursework, I believe they are still relevant and may
give you some things to think about when considering how you want to
proceed.

In 2001 I entered into a computer science program at Winona State
University in Minnesota. At the time, I was primarily using
magnification software to use my computer and a combination of
scanning and an electronic video magnifier to read materials. I will
point out that I knew of screen reading software like JAWS, and could
even use it, but I was still laboring under the impression that
magnifying my computer screen to nine times it's normal size was
faster and more efficient. It didn't take long before my grades caught
up with me and gave my ego a thorough beating. It became clear to me,
in the form of an academic suspension letter, that I was not in a
place where I could be an effective, officient, or competetive college
student.

In the following years, I realized that I needed to get over my
hangups and use the alternative techniques of blindness in order to be
a productive person. In the winter of 2010 i reentered a college
undergraduate program. now that I am relying on screen reading
technology, electronic versions of text, and occasionally brailled
materials, I am having a much more successful experience. I am also
more willing to learn the material when I have methods of taking it in
that do not leave me frustrated and exhausted (especially helpful when
one is also working full time :)).

I understand that you are not a braille user, but I would strongly
urge you to consider learning to use a speech output program instead
of relying on magnification. I think you will, after a little
adjustment time, come to find it is a more efficient, pleasant, and
productive experience. While I personally cannot speak to any
experiences at an NFB training center, others on this list can.
Adjustment to blindness training may be something you would find
benefitial too. Taking a little time now to learn these techniques,
and then entering your graduate program, will likely leave you in a
place where you feel more comfortable with yourself, and your ability
to complete your assignments. I know that if I hadn't taken the time
to perfect my use of nonvisual technology, I would not be effective at
either my job, or my academic studies.

I'm glad to see you have come to the NFB and NABS to ask quesstions.
This organization is all about mentoring others and passing along or
experiences in the hopes that you may learn from them, and yes even
from our mistakes. Is there a chance you will be attending our
national convention in dallas this year? If you have the opportunity
you will be able to interact with many folks who are in computer
related fields and can draw upon their wisdom as well.

I hope my thoughts have given you something to consider. please don't
hesitate to ask any further questions you may have.

Regards,
Tony