[nabs-l] Goodwill Boycott

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 03:32:34 UTC 2012

Hi all,
I don't shop at Goodwill either, but I was regularly donating items
like used clothes to Goodwill, and my parents do as well. A customer
boycott might not matter much but a donor boycott would probably hurt
them considerably. I have to say I found Justin's arguments very
persuasive. I just hope that if we boycott all branches nationally, we
make it very clear that what we want is a change to national policy.
Interestingly, I used to rent an apartment from a woman (I'll call her
S) whose full-time job was to be a live-in caretaker for a woman with
Down's syndrome and significant mental retardation (I'll call her C).
Since I rented the apartment right below theirs, I got to know both S
and C quite well and learned a bit about C's situation. Apparently C
is employed by a program for people with intellectual disabilities
similar to Goodwill's but it wasn't Goodwill itself. I think S. told
me that C. was paid around $1 per hour for doing an extremely menial
job although I don't remember what that job was exactly. However, I
don't think C. had any living expenses at all because she lived
rent-free with S. She may have been helping pay for groceries. The
program she was in was very custodial and I'm not sure she even had
independent access to the money she earned at her job.
I don't think I can really judge whether people with disabilities like
C.'s are capable of living without custodial care or spending their
own money, any more than a deaf person should be able to judge how
independent blind people can be. I do suspect that people like C.
would achieve more if they were held to higher expectations, and
higher expectations should come with higher wages and more freedom.
I definitely believe that anyone who lives independently should be
paid at least the minimum wage, and I think it is clear that blindness
by itself doesn't prevent anyone from living independently. However, I
do wonder if minimum wage is necessary for those who don't have living
expenses or who don't manage their own finances because they are
living in custodial care situations. I'm sure there are people in
these custodial arrangements who shouldn't be there, but that almost
sounds like a separate issue. These people aren't in custodial care
because they are earning low wages, but because their parents or
others acting on their behalf have decided they don't have the
intellect or the maturity to make adult decisions. Again, this should
never be said about people who are just blind without other
disabilities. As far as intellectual disabilities go, in some cases
this judgment might be right; in other cases it might be wrong. But if
someone is clearly not able to manage adult expenses, should they be
paid adult wages? It's tricky.
I can also understand the argument that if noncompetitive employment
programs for the disabled raise wages, they can't hire as many
workers. This ultimately means that instead of a bunch of disabled
workers earning crappy wages, some will earn a decent wage and others
will earn nothing. Of course, we hope that the reduction in
noncompetitive jobs might bring more disabled workers into the
competitive job market. A mandatory minimum wage would also force
companies with high salaries at the top to redistribute their payscale
more fairly.
Arielle