[nabs-l] Goodwill Boycott

Beth thebluesisloose at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 08:01:52 UTC 2012

Great points, Brandon.  As someone who is both blind and mentally
ill, I understand how it feels to be considered weird.  I've been
called a creep, told by some girl to my boyfriend's face that he
could do better due to my disorder, and then threatened with all
kinds of emotional attack and abuse.  Due to blindness, I was
told by the docs I'd be a vegetable.  Huh?  My dad says I'm a
genius.  I don't know, but my last IQ check said I was a 133,
superior without all the visual battery of tests.  But then
again, IQ isn't everything.  I live in Denver, alone, with no
roommate to pander to my every need.  I probably should say that
with the right support and good friends around me, I could
thrive.  I could become a "normal" woman, work a "normal" job,
and get "normal" wages.  I could take care of children, my own
children, and raise them to be good people, productive citizens
of the United States of America, and I'd look forward to good
days and bad days along the way.  My old cane teacher is a
fountain of wisdom when it comes to life's miseries, and the
rapids of life don't get any higher than what they are.  I could
get deeper and say that God doesn't put us in a river with rapids
that could not be handled by the rider.  One of the biggest
"whitewater rapids" so to speak is the employment and wages
thing.  Brandon and Arielle, you guys make a good point in that
blind people are trained to act like mentally disabled people.
My boyfriend doesn't know money.  I wonder if I can possibly
teach him the basics of money management and budgeting.  I
struggle with it myself because SSI is too little to live off of,
and I was given a plane ticket, but not the money for baggage
fees and cab fare to get to and from the airport.  So I'm stuck
paying for that.  My boyfriend also doesn't know how to keep
track of his own wages, and if he becomes a big-time producer for
all sorts of rappers who would run to him, I don't know how he's
going to run the household and help me pay my bills too.  What if
I'm incapacitated for real this time?  I mean, like, Terry
Shiavo?  How's Jason, who I may designate as a healthcare
surrogate, going to make that decision?  My hope is that he won't
have to do that, but if that happens, I need someone that I feel
can be trusted to make the decisions about my bills and stuff.  I
was asked by my boyfriend's mom of all people to help her with
him a bit.  Just to think of Jason in the situation he's in just
makes me so sick.  I want him to manage his own wages, cook me a
meal if I get sick, and fry me some chicken or grill a burger on
Memorial Day.  He has the potential to do those things, and the
weird part is that his parents are open to us having a
relationship.  Most disabled people's parents, including but not
limited to my own, are not as open about relations with poorer
people.  Both Jason and I are poor, but I think we can live
together successfully with all the right supports, and if we
can't find jobs, so what?  We need family support to get by.  But
I really do dream of having my own private house, being able to
manage my bills, being able to buy foods that are nutritious to
my children and so on, and feeding the baby and having Jason
there to have breakfast with in the mornings, and not his old
mother.  Not to say she's bad, but it's a dream I want to have.
My mother should not have to manage my money.  Yes, I'm not so
good at money management, but I've learned a few lessons like how
to go back and look at your payment history every time if you get
suspicious about a charge.  Like if the bills are on autopay, you
have to look back and see if the weird corporate robbers, if I
may use such a cold term, are stealing your money.  I felt
Comcast was robbing me of my precious money, and especially this
month
because of a trip, and next month because of a move I have to do,
I can't afford a $70 internet bill.  That's just too much unless
you're really living in low income housing.  I know a lot about
disabled or low income housing.  Boy, my boyfriend has a lot to
learn, and he'll learn lots while I'm with him.  Lots of times,
blind people are sheltered by their parents, and of course, the
parents I had were good parents, no doubt, but they had their
flaws.  Jason is lucky in some ways, but his parents said the
same stuff that all sighted people say, "He has it made.  We wait
on him hand and foot ..."  And so on.  This creates a problem.
Blind people need to not be waited on hand and foot.  We can't
necessarily be pandered to our every need like little Veruca Salt
in charlie and the Chocolate Factory if I may reference a spoiled
literary figure.  We can't be pandered or revered as Helen Keller
was by her family in her early years.  Unlike Jason, Helen was
deaf and in me and Jason's time, jobs are ample, and skills are
ample thanks to technology.  With Helen Keller's time, there were
no jobs open, and marriage and motherhood were closed to Helen.
I as a blind woman am thankful that marriage is open to me--hence
the boyfriend I currently have--and relationships period.  Jobs
and technology have risen while I was growing up.  It only seems
like yesterday that I would not be sending this superbly long
email.  Thanks to emails and Facebook and Twitter, I feel much
more connected to my friends and family, and especially to my
dear cousin Sarah, but yet she never calls me.  Ha ha.  But
thanks to cell phones, I can go anywhere and give everyone a text
message.  Imagine poor blind Beth texting!  It only seems like
yesterday that my parents didn't think I needed an accessible
phone, but when I fought to get an accessible phone, and my
ex-boyfriend taught me how to write letters on the phone, which
is a skill I still fail at sometimes (lol), I have texted my
friends and I can receive texts from people.  I would hate to
change my address, but I do that.  I will be in Denver for a good
while so I can do my college and keep the ducks in a row as I
would hear my mother say.  When I get my ducks in a row, I plan
to move on to bigger and better things, and I want to get a job
helping human trafficking victims.  Denver has a strong victim
advocate program, but that's only the Muslim Family Services that
may have that.  I'd heard that Atlanta has a big problem with
human trafficking.  Well, so do some areas of Florida, but if
there's slavery and trafficking, I'll be there to stop it.  I'd
like to give former slaves and prostitutes a chance at life, but
where will I go without a college degree in women's studies and a
good background in such matters?  I was never trafficked, but I
have read countless literature, and have seen it firsthand or
through others, what sorts of cruelty exist in the world.
To keep the message on topic, I want to say that such a job
helping human trafficking victims shouldn't require a social work
degree, which the doc says I'm too messed up to do.  I want to
advise all of us to please take suspicious statements like,
"She's pretending to be a certain ethnic group" or "She's not fit
to do something because of mental deficiencies."  What sort of
nonsensical statements these are!  DVR in Colorado doesn't seem
to get it.  They tell me I'm too messed up for college but they
don't seem to understand that the importance of college is more
to me than anybody.  My brothers are taking college classes, and
they will graduate, marry, and have families as expected.  But
what will I do?  My parents will dictate who I will marry due to
gender and blindness, they will tell me what talents I have
because I'm so "malleable", as some people think blind people
are, and then my teachers, doctors, psychologists, social
workers, and case managers will either take my babies or let me
keep them with sighted supervision, and so on.  But going through
school is not easy.  Brandon, you said school is great, but you
don't realize that as a blind person in a million living in a
small town, nobody cared to dance with me at homecoming or prom.
That's the price I paid for being blind.  Nobody cared to offer
me flowers on a date.  I didn't have the normal teenager things
that every teenage girl dreams about.  If I have a daughter, I
want to dress her up for prom and her wedding day with such pride
a mother would share with her spouse and daughter alike.  My
mother never got that opportunity with me.  She would help me
into my chorus dresses, but those were mere obligations to the
school.  My mom believed that prom was for dates only, and summer
jobs?  Out of the question.  I can't get a good experience if I
am not allowed to work.  Titusville is a small town in Florida,
and I and another man were the only blind people in it.  I being
the only and youngest blind woman in the town couldn't be offered
a job.  The only jobs offered were at the hospital, where medical
experience was required, and the Space Center, where engineering
degrees were preferred.  My dad can attest to the people he's
interviewed for jobs, and unfortunately, there's not enough blind
computer engineers, except those in the underground geek industry
as I like to call it, to go around.  We also need to learn to
communicate with others who are sighted, speak their language so
to speak.
Ok, my rant is over.
Beth