[nabs-l] vacation tips please?

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 05:36:20 UTC 2012

Hello,
Wow, the below is pretty much exactly what I do! :O... I totally believe in
asking from help from the get go, right as soon as you walk in the door.
Airlines are often really good at getting you to where you need to go. They
don't always know what Sighted Guide is though, so you'll probably need to
ask them if you can please hold their elbow.
I often make some joke about how their elbow and I are having a nice
conversation about what's coming up as we're walking if they still are
grabbing me despite me holding their elbow in one hand and my cane in the
other. That usually helps. I also shrug off the wheelchair, saying it's way
too slow. I do however love the little golf carts they sometimes take you
around in, those are way faster than I could walk!
But traveling with help gets you to the front of the line and keeps you from
missing the flight. Also the airplane attendants know you're blind and let
you know when they're coming by with the garbage or food so you don't miss
it!
What I'm anxious to know is how traveling overseas works... Non parlo
Italiano! LOL
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs