[nabs-l] Goodwill Boycott

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Wed Jun 13 02:04:15 UTC 2012

Fellow Federationists:

I am going to respond to many different ideas that have been voiced since my last post on this list in one compact email.  I'll list the names of the people whose comments I'm addressing.

Ashley Bramlett:
I, too, am from an affluent school district and know what you mean about the lack of proper independent living skills instruction.  It is assumed that intelligent students can figure these things out for themselves.  Perhaps we can, but I know I haven't done a phenomenal job of it, mainly because I haven't felt the pressure.  I notice you mentioned a lot of challenges that you don't know how to overcome with entry-level jobs.  I see your passion, and I think that you would be a great candidate to do what I'm doing starting September 10th: attending an adult program at an NFB training center.
To address your policy comment, a main purpose of the boycott is to inspire Goodwill to adopt a corporate policy of only paying fair wages to its workers with disabilities.

Brandon Keith Biggs:
I like your approach to independence.  Keep it up!

Elizabeth Mohnke:
You're right that the average wage doesn't make sense.  I understand where it comes from, and it doesn't make sense because the truth is there, and it's morally repugnant.  Pay attention to the salary of the blind CEO.  One worker being paid less than the minimum wage is too many.  It's not all, but it is happening.

Zunaira:
The hiring quota is not going to be effective for a laundry list of economic reasons.  If you want more information on why it won't work, email me off-list, and I'll be happy to give you a novel to show off my recent education in economics.  We already have a solution.  It's called HR 3086, the Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act.  I'm going to go out on a very short limb and say that I think the issue of Lighthouse and Hilton customer service is localized.  I've never once heard of someone being asked for Lighthouse certification on anything, and I think this happens in this case because Lighthouse is funneling disabled workers to the Hilton for employment opportunities.

Sean Whalen:
That was an excellent message. Cindy said it well.  I plan to re-post your message on the NCABS listserv.

Thank you, everyone, for a great discussion.  Please don't forget to join the Boycott Goodwill event on Facebook!

Yours in Federationism,

Justin Salisbury
President
North Carolina Association of Blind Students

Justin M. Salisbury
Class of 2012
B.A. in Mathematics
East Carolina University
president at alumni.ecu.edu

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”    —MARGARET MEAD