[nabs-l] Blind vs. Visually Impaired

Sophie Trist sweetpeareader at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 15:02:21 UTC 2012

Arielle, you make some very good points that I agree with. I have
met someone who fits the description. I was on a school trip last
summer, and my group merged with a group from Tenessee. In this
group, there was a blind guy who still had a good bit of division
left. When we were introduced, I made some reference to him being
blind. He almost bit my head off and told me that he was, in
fact, visually impaired. This guy did not use a cane or any
nonvisual techniques I noticed. I also noticed that his parents,
who were also on the trip, pandered to him and did not encourage
him to learn any independence skills. In my opinion, there are
the kids we need to reach out to.
Best,
Sophie