[nabs-l] Reaching out to the young?

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 07:33:05 UTC 2012

Hello,
The people running for the Nabs leadership positions this year have been in
agreement on one topic:
Getting younger people into Nabs.
I'm wondering what thoughts and ideas people have on doing this?

My thoughts:
I am super new to NABS, only joining the listsirve last month and that was
only because I wanted to learn about the people I would be meeting this year
in Dallas because I won a scholarship.
Now I'm all excited about the community we have here and that we have a
place to discuss issues and problem solve on things we all can relate to.
The reason why I didn't join before this was because I had no idea there was
a listsirve, and I'm not aware of a Nabs chapter within 20 miles of my
house.
I'd love to see first a Nabs chapter created for those who don't know of a
chapter near them and who are a little nervous about joining a chapter.
This would mean that one wouldn't need to travel to go to the meeting.
I'd love to see a nabs group that's totally through a social conferencing
system like Skype. That way we can participate no matter where we are. I'm
not sure if the big national Nabs meetings are public on Skype or something
comparable, but I'd like to know if there is a Skype meeting I can join!
This not only would allow people to attend meetings from their home, they
can get to know the community of Nabs before going to a chapter meeting
live. They also don't need to say anything.

I'm also wondering why I never got an email from Nabs asking me to join the
listsirve when I was told that I was a scholarship winner? Patty Chang and
Lorraine Rovig send us something about every day talking about stuff going
on on other listsirves, why hasn't a message from Sean shown in there?
Also, I would love a place to point my blind friends to who are scared of
NABS because they think they're a bunch of "Militant students who flay you
alive with pointy canes if you don't do everything independently".
They could sign up for the list serve, but what if they don't want to read a
ton of messages all the time in their inbox? Is there someone who is really
good with people who can reach out to these people and be willing to talk to
them through email or some way? And is there a place in NABS for people like
that?
People want to know how they can make a difference when they join a group
like NABS. I need someone who will tell me I'm needed and wanted because I
can do something!
There are also people who are not computer nerds and how can we reach them?
Someone in the middle of the rainforest in Oregon, how are they going to
hear about and participate in nabs?

The key to the success of just about anything is marketing, marketing,
marketing.
So how can NABS develop its marketing to the fullest?

Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs