[nabs-l] this one aide is driving me crazy? how should i react?

Cari Ford carisuekness at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 04:18:56 UTC 2012

Hi all,
I know these situations well. I was on the way
home from seeing a friend off on a mega bus back
to Chicago. One of the metrolink employees
(offered to walk with me to the metrolink station
since I was trying to get accurate directions. I
had never gotten on at that station. He was
helpful in walking with me and he was going that
way himself so I didn't feel so bad. Anyway,
along the way, he was telling me about every tree
and bump in the sidewalk. It was somewhat
annoying but I reminded myself that I use a cane
and get this information regardlesss of his
ongoing diologue about each tree or bump. I
decided to smile and nod my head and keep going.
Why ruen an act of kindness? He did save me time
because there were some unknown kinks that would have hung me up for a while.
At school, I am in a class held in an auditorium
setting. I sit in the front row. There is a woman
with a hearing loss but not blind. She uses a
notetaker. Her notetaker uses her laptop and
plugs it in with a long extention cord. The cord
goes across the isle so if I want to go past
them, I have to step over the cord. It's just
sitting on the floor so it's not a huge deal, yet
they think so big time. So far I've just blown
them off but inside I'm really annoyed. Right now
if I can, I just sit to their right to avoid
having to step over the cord and blow their big
deal off if I have to go by them.
It is hard because when someone makes a big deal
like that, I want to too. They pannic and when
someone says, "watch out! watch out! watch out!",
I tend to stop feeling there is really some
danger. I'm working on that anxiety.
Talk to you later.
Peace,
Cari