[nabs-l] a question about science and tutoring

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 21:55:35 UTC 2012

Hi Vejas,
I'm not very good spatially either, and I usually didn't get much out
of tactile diagrams. I do think attempting to understand tactile
diagrams is a good way to try to improve your spatial skills. But if
you don't find them useful for learning the concepts, then see if you
can get verbal descriptions instead. I also found in my experience
that knowing what things look like (like the shape of cells etc.) is
not super-important for understanding the functional concepts you are
learning about.
You could talk to your guidance counselor to find out if there is any
free tutoring available at your school. I'm sure you are not the only
student having difficulty following science concepts. If your school
has an honor society for seniors, some of their members might be
available to tutor you for free or for a small fee if your parents are
willing and able to pay them. I tutored a few chem students when I was
in high school.
A good tutor (sighted or blind) should be able to figure out how to
best explain the ideas to you.
Arielle