[nabs-l] Dating & Sighted-Blind-Low Vision

Brian Hatgelakas brian.hatgelakas at verizon.net
Fri Mar 23 04:18:10 UTC 2012

I myself am blind and am starting to get to know a sighted woman who I've
liked since my high School years.  We connected about three weeks ago via
face book     and have been talking every day and night via phone and email.
The funny thing is we both now realize that we have deep feelings for each
other and they get stronger as the days go on. I have liked this girl for
over ten  years and feel that she is the one.    The only trouble is that
she is in Rodchester New York and I am hear in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. I
feel that the travel is doable in my opinion.    So the two part  question
to people out hear is:

1.  Is anyone out hear in a long distance relationship?  What advantages and
disadvantages do you see in it?  Also how do you overcome those obstacles
that these relationships bring.

2. I am looking at eventually moving out to Rodchester to be close to her
and am wondering how do you decide who moves or who stays put.  She has a
masters degree and a good job at one of the universities out their but also
her field I feel is open to anywhere in the US and so is mine.    I myself
have a BA in radio     broadcasting and mass communications and  am willing
to start in a smaller market like the Buffalo Rodchester market. I have
radio connections in the Rodchester market from a long time friend and
mentor who I have known for seven  years and who  has been very encouraging
to me and has given me good advice through out college. How should I
approach him about a possible job or internship where I can get my foot in
the door?  He seems like the type of person that is willing to give me a
chance.   I am     also     looking at getting a master's in either a
related field or seminary theological work and I am definitely    not tied
down to Pittsburgh for any of these situations. I     am very  willing to
relocate for new experiences and opportunities in my life. In laymonds terms
I am ready to       go anywhere.   how are the transportation services out
in Rodchester because I don't want to have to rely on her all the time to
drive me places. I am very self motivated and independent and love the NFB's
philosophies.  I just wish I would've been exposed to them back in high
school so I could've been more confident in myself.  It took me until the
age of 27 to develop my confidence and I am very proud of myself in the
strides I have made through out my college and young adult years.  I am
getting to the age right now where most of my college friends are either
married or engaged and I would really like that opportunity for myself. I
feel that this city of Pittsburgh is holding me back from new adventures and
I am ready to leave it behind and conquer new challenges in 2012 and beyond.
Thanks for any help and information that you can give and sorry if I am
rambling.