[nabs-l] Barcode Reader Applications

Jewel herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Tue May 1 13:26:16 UTC 2012

There aren't, too my knowledge, any apps that substitute for the KNFB
reader. However, there are a few apps that can be of use in reading
text, figuring out what's in a can, even describing the pattern on
your bathroom tiles.

The first app is SayText. It's the best (not perfect, but the best
I've found) for reading texts. It does take a little practice, but
once you get the hang of how to take a picture, it's not so hard. You
have to place the camera in the middle of the page, then press Take a
Picture, then slowly lift the phone until it says "Edges Detected." At
this point, it'll take the actual picture, and then you can read it
off the screen with flick gesturing.

The next app is called O Moby (not sure if it's spelled right, might
be Oh Moby). This app is quite siple. Take a picture of something, and
it tells you what it is. Take a picture of a striped shirt and it'll
say 'striped shirt.' Take a picutre of a guide dog and it says 'guide
dog.' Good for basic descriptions or quick recognition. I'm told it
works on cans and boxes, such as calling a box of Cheerios by name,
though I've not tried that out yet.

Another, similar app is VizWhiz. The big difference is that when you
take a picture of something, you can record a question and send it to
a real person (whereas the last app searches images over the
internet). So, that's just what you do...take a picture, say of a dog.
Then record your question ("What breed is this dog?") and get the
answer back from a volunteer or from someone on your contact list
("This dog is an all-American mutt.") This is especially good for
details, such as finding the barcode on a product ("The barcode is in
the lower right corner.") or finding your way ("The street signs say
Main Street and Fifth Avenue). You are sure to get the right can of
soup if you check with VizWhiz first!

I hope this helps a little. I'm sure there are others out there, but
these are some that were recommended and tested by me, and approved as
useful in my life as a p erson who is currently only able to see light
and dark and a little movement.

Later,
Jewel