[nabs-l] iPad virses Pac Mate

Tony Olivero anthony at olivero.us
Tue May 8 19:00:37 UTC 2012

Chelsea,

I can't speak to the accessibility of any calculators other than the
built in one, but here are a couple of things to consider when
deciding whether an iPad with Braille display is a good replacement
for you from a traditional notetaker:

* Do you do a lot of reading with your note taker? At least with
iBooks, you cannot continuously read the way we're familiar with on a
note taker. You have to change pages, then start at the top of the
page. (unless there has been a change I am unaware of)
* Does a slight delay between the phone unlocking and the Braille
display bother you? it doesn't matter to everyone, but some users find
the time between unlocking the phone and the display activating to be
longer than acceptable. Whereas the notetaker is an almost instat on.
* Do you intend to do a lot of editing? If so, you will notice a
difference when editing on the iDevice with a Braille display.
Commands users are used to (SPACE+123, SPACE+456, etc) function
differently on the iDevice.

I'm definitely not trying to persuade you in either direction. I
firmly believe there is no right solution for everyone and each device
has it's pros and cons. Just a couple things you may wish to consider.
Also, for information on accessible apps, check the directory at
http://www.applevis.com.

HTH,
Tony