[nabs-l] FW: National Federation of the Blind Applauds NewJersey Ruling on Braille Instruction for Blind Child

Joshua Lester jlester8462 at students.pccua.edu
Wed May 9 00:46:26 UTC 2012

Chris!
I see NFB national president written all over you!
Keep up the good work!
I can't wait to see what happens with you, 50 years from now!
You will be a huge part of the NFB, on a national scale, in the future!
I don't have to be a prophet to say it, because judging by your posts
on these lists, the potential is there!
Blessings, Joshua

On 5/8/12, Chris Nusbaum <dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com> wrote:
> A big amen to that! I couldn't have said it any better! I was actually
> having a similar conversation with my school librarian today, who asked me
> whether I saw Braille withering away with the advancement of audio
> technology. I told her I didn't, and even if I could see that happening, I
> wouldn't want it. Why do I not see Braille going away? Because there are
> enough blind people who are passionate about Braille to prevent that from
> happening! Why would I want Braille to continue as the primary source of
> reading and writing for the blind? Because reading books in audio format,
> although it is a good method for reading materials sometimes, isn't true
> literacy. Braille is our form of literacy. Without Braille, we can't read
> or
> write. This means that we can't get a job, or go to college, or keep up
> with
> our sighted peers. So, I think we definitely still need Braille because it
> is our form of literacy, and if we get rid of Braille, we should get rid of
> print too!
>
> Chris

>>> 17218) from an administrative law judge that their eleven-year-old son
>>> Henry
>>> "Hank" Miller was improperly denied instruction in Braille, the reading
>>> and
>>> writing code for the blind.  The legal victory, obtained with the
>>> assistance
>>> of the National Federation of the Blind <http://www.nfb.org/>  (NFB),
>>> comes
>>> on the heels of
>>>
> <http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/speced/Letter%20to%20Secretary%20Duncan%20re
>>> %20Braille%20Literacy.pdf> a letter from 26 U.S. Senators urging the
>>> Department of Education to take steps to ensure that blind children who
>>> need
>>> Braille instruction receive it.
>>>

>>> Holly and Jeffrey Miller brought the legal case on behalf of their son,
>>> Hank, whom they adopted from China and who is blind due to albinism and
>>> nystagmus.  Hank has limited vision that allows him to read enlarged
>>> print
>>> for short periods of time, but he is unable to read for sustained
>>> periods
>>> of
>>> time.  Although Hank's parents continued to tell school officials that
>>> their
>>> son was experiencing visual fatigue and was having difficulty reading,
>>> the
>>> school board and its consultant, the New Jersey Commission for the Blind
>>> and
>>> Visually Impaired (CBVI), insisted that Hank was a proficient print
>>> reader,
>>> notwithstanding his continued placement in a special resource room for
>>> language arts.  In a nearly ten-day hearing, held under the due process
>>> provisions of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement
>>> Act
>>> of
>>> 2004, Mrs. Miller testified that she watched Hank routinely struggle
> [...]
>>>

>>> Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
>>> said:
>>> "Based on the experience of countless parents of blind children and
>>> blind
>>> adults who had never learned Braille and have contacted us over the
>>> years,
>>> the National Federation of the Blind has consistently argued that blind
>>> children are being improperly assessed and denied Braille instruction
>>> when
>>> it is clearly appropriate.  Now after a thorough and comprehensive
>>> examination of the evidence in Hank Miller's case, an independent judge
>>> has
>>> confirmed what we always knew.  We hope that school and agency officials
>>> across the nation take note of this landmark ruling and commit to giving
>>> blind children access to Braille, the true key to literacy for the vast
>>> majority of children who are blind or losing vision.  The National
>>> Federation of the Blind will continue to stand with families like the
>>> Millers who find themselves pitted against the educational establishment
>>> in
>>> obtaining the equal education to which their children are entitled and
>>> which
>>> they deserve."
>>>

>>> Holly Miller, Hank's mother, said: "I am obviously thrilled with this
>>> ruling, although I am still saddened that it took such a prolonged
>>> battle
>>> achieve it.  I am stepping forward to tell Hank's story in hopes that
>>> other
>>> parents of blind children will not have to struggle as we did.  I thank
>>> the
>>> National Federation of the Blind and all of the individuals and experts
>>> who
>>> came forward to assist in this case.  I plan to strongly and publicly
>>> advocate with the National Federation of the Blind for Braille
>>> instruction
>>> for blind children."
>>>

>>> The plaintiffs are represented in this matter by Sharon Krevor-Weisbaum
>>> of
>>> the Baltimore firm Brown, Goldstein, and Levy, and Jayne M. Wesler of
>>> the
>>> Cranbury firm Sussan and Greenwald.
>>>

>>> For more information about the National Federation of the Blind, please
>>> visit www.nfb.org <http://www.nfb.org/> .  For more information about
>>> Braille, the reading and writing code for the blind, please visit
>>> www.braille.org <http://www.braille.org/> .
>>>

>>> ###
>>>

>>> About the National Federation of the Blind
>>>

>>> With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is
>>> the
>>> largest and most influential membership organization of blind people in
>>> the
>>> United States. The NFB improves blind people's lives through advocacy,
>>> education, research, technology, and programs encouraging independence
>>> self-confidence. It is the leading force in the blindness field today