[nabs-l] problems with blio

Tony Olivero anthony at olivero.us
Wed May 9 02:31:44 UTC 2012

Guys:

There are a couple things at play.

1) Access to the text with accessibility software has been garenteed
by Blio. This is possible with screen access software for Blio on the
PC, and with VoiceOver on the iPhone, and even on the Android
platform. This applies to all texts provided by Blio.
2. With regard to the more human sounding voices, there is no
requirement to provide this capability on *all* books. This is a
publisher's option. This is so, because (whether we as individuals
think this is stupid or not) publishers don't always want people using
a TTS engine when they can buy the book in true, narrated-by-an-actor
fashion. Now, the reason this is separate from accessibility is that
Blio has made the commitment to allow access technology products (i.e.
VoiceOver) to access the text regardless of the publisher's stance on
TTS available to all users.

I realize it's a bit confusing, and perhaps leaves you with more
questions than answers, but that's where things stand. You should be
able to read *all* Blio books with accessibility software,but you may
not be able to read them all with the optional Human-sounding voices.

Tony