[nabs-l] Taking Action to Improve Braille Literacy

Salisbury, Justin Mark SALISBURYJ08 at students.ecu.edu
Wed May 9 19:35:11 UTC 2012

I agree with the points that Arielle made, and I particularly think that we need to focus on the proper training of Braille teachers at this point in the game.  I don't think we currently have enough good Braille teachers in the United States to fulfill the needs of an optimal system.

I was fortunate enough to grow up in Connecticut, so I was urged to start learning Braille by my high school and state agency at the beginning of my junior year, only a few months after I became blind.  I wanted to resist it at first because no kid likes the idea of more classes that aren't dominated by the opposite sex or physical activity, but I soon realized that my school and state agency were right; Braille is important!

I just finished 4 years of college in North Carolina, where I am also finishing my second term as President of the NC Association of Blind Students.  I have learned a lot about both states' systems, and I observe a vast difference in the prioritization of Braille.  There are often trained Braille teachers in the wealthy and densely-populated school districts in NC, but students with residual vision are encouraged to depend on what they have left.  I wouldn't know Braille today if I had grown up in North Carolina.  In my understanding, students who are not from equipped school districts who wish to receive Braille instruction are often forced to attend the residential school for the blind in Raleigh.  Veteran teachers at the residential school for the blind have told me that it has become the place for students with multiple disabilities or from impoverished backgrounds (while anyone who can be mainstreamed is), and they have seen a decrease in the morale and expectations as this shift has occurred.

I bring up the residential school topic because, if we were able to make the shift tomorrow to a most efficient system, I believe we would need all of the students and Braille teachers to be located in centralized hubs.  I believe attending a residential school should be a choice, but it seems to currently be a requirement for many students if they want a shot at learning Braille.

We need more Braille teachers who are properly trained.

The Next Step:
To inspire people to enter the field, we need widespread budgetary allocations for the positions of Braille teachers.  North Carolina Central University consistently struggles to fill its TVI program because people aren't applying.

We should all write a book on this topic.

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury
Undergraduate Student
The Honors College
East Carolina University
salisburyj08 at students.ecu.edu

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”    —MARGARET MEAD