[nabs-l] National Federation of the BlindApplaudsNewJerseyRuling on Braille Instruction for Blind Child

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri May 11 02:46:57 UTC 2012

Sophie,
I'm confused too. Yes you could write by typing provided you know how to
structure it; how to spell, where to punctuate your sentences, etc.
As someone who learned to spell, punctuate words and sentences, learned the
concept of a paragraph, and more from really reading in braille, I cannot
see how you can grasp the english language without first seeing the
language. If you can read print or read it before your vision declined which
I think is Marc's case, yes you can remember the english structure and
continue your literacy skills.
But for someone young enough not to learn the structure and semantics of the
english language, I fail to understand how you can learn it simply via
audio. For instance, in audio I cannot see where one paragraph ends and
another begins; this causes problems in college english classes because the
professor says see paragraph 1, 2 etc on page 3 or whatever.
When I only hear, I cannot see how to spell and therefore have to ask
someone if I do not know its spelling already; I have been marked down in
college papers for failing to spell technical terms like drug names in
psychology papers. I did not
ask a reader how to spell all of them. So these are just some challenges
with audio learning.
I think my literacy skills would be much weaker if I were not held to a high
standard in elementary school and learned to spell and learned braille.

Ashley