[nabs-l] Course Text

Bryan Jones opensesame at me.com
Tue May 15 17:42:56 UTC 2012

Hello,

When I'm searching for a textbook, I normally start my search from the Access Text Network homepage located at www.accesstext.org. From the main page, I click the Accessible Textbook FInder. This opens an accessible search page where you can enter part or all of a book title or ISBN and you can select which services to search. The services listed are the AccessText Network, ALternative Media Access Center, Bookshare, Coursesmart, LearningAlly, NLS, Project Gutenberg, and Vitalsource.

In the case of this title, the results show four separate entries for the book titled "Explaining the Breakdown of Ethnic Relations."
All 4 entries show "ATN" (AccessText Network) as the source but they don't show what format is available.
I'm not sure how it's handled at your school, but in my case I am required to funnel my request for ATN titles through my Office of Services for Students with Disabilities. I usualy just email them the book details and a link to the book on the accesstext page and ask them for the title in an accessible format.

I'd like to  give a shout out to Chris N. on this list, who mentioned the ATN service a while back. I've found it to be very useful.

HTH,
Bryan