[nabs-l] Device Helps Blind See with Tongue

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Fri May 25 05:00:30 UTC 2012

Hello,
That's a great idea getting in contact with the special ed teachers. I'll
have to do that.
I once gave an introduction to Jaws for a class, but I'm afraid I lost the
poor sighted students because they weren’t able to use Jaws. Perhaps talking
about the field of blindness in general would be much more interesting.

BTW, TVI is teacher of the visually Impaired. If you had a teacher who
taught you Braille and mobility when you were younger, they were probably a
TVI. There are VI instructors and rehab instructors which generally either
are specialized in one area, Braille or Mobility, or teaching adults, but a
TVI does it all.

I had around 8 VI instructors growing up and only 3 of them were worth
anything. So on top of not having instructors period, many of the ones we
have are terrible. I'm probably speaking to the choir, but agencies who
contract out VI instructors are so desperate that if there is a quality TVI
working somewhere and their reputation gets out, they will go across the
country to get one instructor and sometimes pay to help them move. Then that
one instructor is often given so much work that they have to work 14+ hour
days. But It's my hope that if we're able to encourage the number of TVIs to
grow, we will have actually competition for jobs and quality will go up.
I knew more technology than all but one of my instructors and I even fired
one of my TVIs and just said I'd study on my own because they weren’t
willing to teach me Braille Music or nemith.
I don't think I could even place in a Braille challenge and yet most of my
teachers knew less than me. I know there are good teachers out there, but
they are so rare that most people don't ever have one in their life.
There should be a study done on the success of blind people who had an
extraordinary instructor, compared to those who didn't. I don't think it's
just Braille literacy that helps people get employed, but I think it's more
of the quality of instruction that corresponds to the level of job and
success a blind person has.
I don't think there is any way to get rid of all the incompetent teachers
except to increase the number of teachers and Agencies contracting out to
schools who higher the top TVIs.
I wonder if someone has information or could develop a kit/presentation that
one could read over and present to their schools.
That way we could learn the answers to FAQs and get fancy attractive aids to
share and inspire our audiences.
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs