[nabs-l] taking the GRE

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat May 26 15:44:26 UTC 2012

Hi all,
I took the GRE way back in 2007 and many things have changed since
then. For the most up-to-date information, I suggest contacting Ruth
Loew, assistant director of disability policy at ETS, at
rloew at ets.org
She has been involved with NABS for a long time and is very interested
in helping blind students navigate the accommodations system.
I do know that you can get Braille prep materials for the verbal and
math sections. You can choose to take the test using Braille, large
print or through a reader. There was an accessible "self-voicing"
version of the computer test that can be taken independently via
computer, but I believe that since the test changed recently, we are
still waiting for the new self-voicing version to be finalized and
made available to test-takers.
If using Braille, I believe the only way to mark your answers is with
a reader, at least until the self-voicing test is ready. You are
allowed to use a Perkins Brailler to write the essays for the writing
section and to do scratchwork for the math section, but you will
eventually need to dictate your Brailled essay to the reader.
One disadvantage of the Braille test is that it is the "paper-based"
test, while the reader-administered and self-voicing versions are the
"computer-based" test. Nowadays most of your sighted peers applying to
grad school will be taking the computer test, and also the computer
test is scored instantly, whereas the paper test takes a while to be
graded. However, there are obvious advantages to using Braille if you
are a Braille reader. I personally think the self-voicing test is the
best option, when it becomes available, as a blind test-taker can
complete it independently and there is no risk of having your score
affected by a reader's mistakes in recording your answers. However,
each person's accommodation decision is an individual one of course.
If you decide to use a reader rather than Braille to complete the
test, I would suggest doing all your practice and studying with
readers rather than with Braille, so you can get used to answering
questions and processing the information in this way.
Best,
Arielle