[nabs-l] GPS Solutions

Tina Thomas tinadt at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 26 16:26:57 UTC 2012

First of all, had you been listening to the monthly presidential release and
or reading your Braille Monitor you would have known to check the NFB
website for all convention activities. So instead of making assumptions and
accusations check your facts before writing and sending a message that makes
you look foolish. Now Josh I'm not picking on you, but in recent years, I've
notice that with this younger generation of students we have become  a
little softer and more politically  correct as well as tolerant of behaviors
that are inappropriate and intolerable  because we're afraid to hurt
someone's feelings. Well let me just tell you when I started in the
student's division many moons ago as well as going to a NFB center we got
our feet put to the fire and at the time, we thought our mentors were being
mean and harsh but looking back on all of those experiences now, I'm
grateful that they cared enough to teach us  self respect,  responsibility
and accountability.  I think that NABS should provide   mentoring to those
students who are new to the federation and NABS and since I brought it up,
I'm willing to spend time with a student who wants to learn about our
philosophy as well as what having well adjusted blindness skills can do to
further self concept and confidence. I think that this is one area that NABS
has been lacking in recent years, and as an older student who is now a TVI,
I think it would be in  NABS best interest to seek out some of the older
students and have us buddy up with a young student and provide them with the
knowledge that was given to us by our mentors who were and are still
federationists.
Regards,
Tina