[nabs-l] taking the GRE

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun May 27 05:30:02 UTC 2012

Hi Ashley,
Yes, at least with the old self-voicing test, it is read to you by a
screen reader similar to JAWS and the answers are marked via computer.
I have a friend who just took the test last month and he said that the
self-voicing test was not yet an option, so he used a reader. However
Ruth Loew posted a request for beta-testers for the self-voicing test
a while ago, so hopefully it will be ready soon.
I don't know how the content of the test has changed. When I took it
it was very similar to the SAT. There were sentence completions,
analogies and reading comprehension in the verbal section. The math
problems were mainly algebra and geometry and I don't think a
calculator was allowed. There was also a writing section that involved
writing an essay; however, all the verbal and math items were
multiple-choice.
The difference between the paper and computer tests is that the paper
test has a fixed set of questions, but the computer test is dynamic.
That is, the questions you get later on in the test depend on how well
you perform on earlier questions. If you are doing well, the test will
give you more difficult questions than if you do poorly at the
beginning. I think this allows you to earn a higher score if you are
able to pass the more difficult questions, although I'm not exactly
sure how the test is scored. The main thing is this is how most of
your competitors for grad school are tested. I'm not sure, then, how
the Braille supplement works if the test questions are dynamic.
Arielle