[nabs-l] Checking boxes in word documents

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 21:29:13 UTC 2012

A big shoutout to my friend Humberto who emailed me off list and
shared these directions with me. I am pasting them here if anyone else
encounters this.

1.       Once you arrow your cursor and place it in your checkbox,
using the left or right arrow keys, once you land on the box, press
the right click (or applications key) that is to the right of the
start menu key in the lower right of the keyboard, if using a laptop,
this key might be located differently.

2.       This places you in a context menu, which is your menu of
choices. At this point, down arrow until you hear “properties”, or
simply press the letter R to quickly jump there.

3.       Once you do that, you will land on a form field properties
dialog box, at this point, press tab until you hear “Not Checked radio
button checked.” These are radio buttons, so hit down arrow to the
option “checked radio button”, then, press the enter key to close the
box.

4.       At this time, your checkbox should be checked. Unless you
print out your document and turn it in, you won’t know how exactly
your checkbox is really checked or the look of it, but otherwise you
should be fine.

These check boxes are not easily navicable. I found that they were
typically in the "space" before the descriptor. For example, if you
have yes and no check boxes on the same line of the document, when my
curssor was on the "space" before the word "yes," when I right
clicked, the opportunity to check the box came up. If you right click,
and that option is not there, then you are not on the check box. And
if more than one option is on one line, find where all of the check
boxes are before checking one.

JAWS did not indicate verbally when I checked a box. It still
indicated that all options were unchecked. However, when I double
checked, JAWS would indicate in the choices in the menu after right
clicking that the box I wanted was, in fact, checked. I am having a
sighted person review it, and they will let me know if this is
actually true.

So right now, the inability to review a document that someone else has
filled out is frustrating, but I am happy for the successful
directions.

Cindy