[nabs-l] question about mac

Bryan Jones opensesame at me.com
Sat Nov 24 00:07:27 UTC 2012

Hello Sophie,

Assuming your Mac is running a current version of the Mac OS and that VoiceOver is already running and speaking to you, you can open the VoiceOver Utility by pressing the Control key, the Option key, and the Function 8 key together. This is generally referred to as "VO+F8." "VO" is shorthand for the VoiceOver modifier key combination of Control+Option.

I would strongly recommend using the VoiceOver Help resources built into every recent version of the Mac OS. Links to these resources can be accessed at any time by pressing VO+H.. This will pop up a menu of VoiceOver help resources, and you can press the up and down arroe keys to select a choice and press Return (aka Enter) to activate your choice. I'd recommend starting with the following two guides available from that menu:
1. Take the interactive quick start tutorial built into every recent version of Mac OS. You can activate this tutorial through the VO+H menu or by pressing VO+Command+F8 at any time.
2. Read the VoiceOver Getting Started Guide, which is available from the VO+H menu or at the following link: http://help.apple.com/voiceover/info/guide/10.8/English.lproj/index.html

Once you are ready to move beyond those basic lessons, you can find many, many resources on the web to help you learn more about VoiceOver on the Mac. There are a bunch of websites, podcasts and mailing lists dedicated to Apple accessibility tools. Google is your friend here.

HTH,
Bryan