[nabs-l] scanning documents was RE: curing blindness

Bryan Jones opensesame at me.com
Tue Oct 2 01:13:50 UTC 2012

There are a number of accessible scanning and OCR options for the Mac. In addition to the Docuscan application mentioned by Chris, another popular option is the combination of VueScan for high-quality scanning and ABBYY FineReader Express for OCR. While there is no Mac version of Kurzweil 1000, there is a Mac version of Kurzweil 3000 which in my recent testing seems to be partially VO accessible.  The 3000 application is really geared toward Users who have print disabilities other than total blindness, but there are some keyboard shortcuts that make it mostly usable without vision, and it can do the scanning, skew adjustments and OCR of the Windows 1000 version.

Free trial versions of VueScan, ABBYY & Kurzweil can all be downloaded from their respective websites.

HTH,
Bryan