[nabs-l] Question for you all

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 20:14:57 UTC 2012

Hi Koby,
I have a few suggestions. First, it is very important to check your
account balance frequently, like once or twice per week, or maybe even
more. This will prevent surprises like having unexpected charges wipe
out what's in your account, which leads to an overdraft. If you don't
know how to check your bank balance by phone or online, go to the bank
and talk to a banker about getting that set up.
Second, I would highly recommend developing a monthly budget, writing
it down and sticking to it. I will post another message here where I
will describe how I do my budget. You don't have to do it exactly my
way, but keeping track of how much money you have to spend will
prevent problems. Once you've written up your budget, show it to your
mom and promise her you will stick to your budget. That way, you will
show her that you are financially responsible, and maybe she will
start to trust you and not impose such extreme restrictions.
Third, once you have your budget, figure out if you have enough extra
money to be able to afford to move out. If you can afford to move out,
or if your mom offers to pay for it, I think that may be the best
choice. If you can't afford to move out, then you will need to follow
the rules, but as I said earlier, if you follow a budget, your mom
should eventually learn that you are capable of managing your own
money.
You can also go to the bank by yourself and request that your mom's
name be removed from your account so she is not able to check your
balance or control how much you spend. Since you are a legal adult,
the bank should honor that request, unless you have a complicated
arrangement with SSI that involves her.
Best,
Arielle