[nabs-l] presentation about blindness/ vision impairment

Jedi Moerke loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Mon Oct 15 09:40:31 UTC 2012

I personally leave out the section on the various types of blindness when I do these types of presentations. I find sometimes that sighted people get too excited about the different types of blindness, and sometimes do so to the extent where that's the first question I will ask the blind person. I personally do not like to be asked what my eye condition is within the first five minutes of meeting someone, and I feel like discussing the different types of blindness an a presentation can increase incidences like these when folks meet each other for the first time. I usually like to fill out that time with context specific information. So if this presentation is for an education group, then I might discuss the education of blind children. If it's for medical professionals, and I might discuss healthcare and blind people and how those two things interact. So, that's kind what I like to do.

Sent from my iPhone